Moving the goalposts

Or: I did it! Smashing the Small Goals.

                So now what?

Okay, not so much 'smashing'...

Today I managed my 5km loop in 29 minutes and 40 seconds; last weekend I got all the way around my 8km loop without stopping. I am really pleased with myself, because it has taken about 6 weeks, but those small goals I set for myself have been achieved. And achieving something you have been working towards is always a good feeling.

The big question now though is, what next? Having reached the metaphorical goalposts I set for myself, I now need to shift them out further, to keep making goals that will stretch me, but be achievable. At the risk of using too many cliches, I can't rest on my laurels at this point, I need to have a series of goalposts stretching out into the future.

Usually when we talk about shifting the goalposts on something, it is meant in a bad way. That's often is the case too, if it happens when we are partway through something (which is typically when it seems to happen). However, it's not always a bad thing - if we make the choice and do it for ourselves

So, now I need to set my next goals. To a huge extent, they need to follow the same rules as my original small goals did: be measurable, and be achievable. I also think that they should relate to the actual other goals that I have just achieved too.
  • I think I will aim for 6 minute kilometres around my 8km loop as my next speed and cadence goal. This is quite a big jump though, and I do have a 6-6.5 km one that I could try as an interim. What I really have to do is be realistic about it, and realise that if I do make the 8km one my goal, it will take a while. Which is okay. Achievable doesn't mean easy. Right, so that's that one sorted.
  • Now I need to find a 10km loop. Where I lived before, I had a really good one, and it was my standard running loop for fitness maintenance. Now there are two arguments against using that one; I don't live there any more (funnily enough), and I'm not yet so fit I can just blat that out as a standard thing anyway. Neither of my 8km loops has an obvious easy extension that I can add, either.  What both of them do have is extra sections which I reckon to be about 3-4 km, with serious hills in. And the one other loop that I can think of as a possibility, I have no idea how long it might be. So, do I just go out and try each of them and see what happens, or do I sit down with a map or something? I'm thinking this through while I'm writing, and I haven't come up with an answer yet, so feel free to let me know what you think.
As far as the 3 bits of exercise a week goal, I am managing that one too, but I don't think I am going to change and add to it. There are a couple of reasons for that: one relates to the 'don't go nuts' idea, because I don't realistically think that I can fit another thing into a week without pressurising myself; the other is that if I am changing goalposts on myself, I don't have to change all of them, and in fact, I think it would be silly to change all of them. 

The most important thing is that I am going to be challenging myself in a sustainable way. I can take the extensions slowly, I don't have to do them straight away because I have plenty of time. And having something a bit aspirational that I am going to find challenging is a good thing too. 

It looks like I am shifting those goalposts a little further than I anticipated! Okay...

How do you extend yourself when you reach your goals? What goals do you have now? What do you suggest for me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking opportunities

Starting Again